Advice when hiring a divorce lawyer
Written by our divorce lawyers in Virginia Beach
Many times, people researching divorce lawyers in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, and Portsmouth will simply type “divorce lawyers near me” in Google and start going down the list.
Unfortunately, while the Internet can be of some assistance in narrowing your choices, an online search does not give you all the information you will need to make a decision about hiring a divorce lawyer. Instead, you should interview a prospective lawyer and our divorce lawyers in Virginia Beach suggest you ask the following questions:
- What is your billing rate? Is there a billing rate for paralegals or secretaries?
- What is the amount of the initial deposit required for services?
- Are payment plans available?
- How responsive are you to questions?
- How many divorce cases have you handled?
- How many of your cases settle?
- How long have you been a practicing lawyer?
- What the advantages to mediation instead of going to trial?
- Will other lawyers in your firm work on my case?
- Do you have time to devote to my case?
- Will I be sent itemized bills?
- What input do I have regarding strategy?
Another important point to hiring a divorce lawyer is that you should get a sense of whether you are comfortable speaking with the lawyer. A decision to hire a divorce lawyer is not a decision to be made lightly and you should make sure that communication with the lawyer is not an issue.
For more than a decade our divorce lawyers in Virginia Beach have been answering these questions and helping individuals with divorces throughout Hampton Roads, including Chesapeake, Norfolk, and Portsmouth.
Should you wish to meet with one of our divorce lawyers for a no-fee consultation about your case, please call us today or fill out the online form below.
Divorce lawyers in Virginia Beach serving Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and all of Hampton Roads.