Can I get an annulment in Virginia?

Written by our divorce lawyers in Virginia Beach

Unlike a divorce, which dissolves a valid marriage, an annulment is a legal decree that a marriage is void.

Annulments are granted only in limited circumstances such as a marriage entered into because of fraud, duress, or coercion.

For more than a decade our divorce lawyers in Virginia Beach have helped individuals annul their marriages in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and all of Hampton Roads.

Generally, in order to qualify for an annulment in Virginia, the marriage must be considered “void” or “voidable.” A void marriage is one where one of the parties is still married to another individual, or where the parties are related. A marriage is voidable under a set of narrow circumstances including, but not limited to, fraud and duress.

Annulments are not as easy to obtain as people imagine and cannot be granted merely because the marriage did not last long, or because someone in the marriage changed religions.

If you are searching for experienced divorce lawyers with proven results, please call us at (757) 432-2500 or use our online form below.

Divorce lawyers in Virginia Beach serving Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and all of Hampton Roads.

Klein, Rowell & Shall, PLLC is a litigation-focused law firm in Virginia Beach serving Hampton Roads


Experienced Legal Services to Achieve Your Goals

We understand the significant personal and often financial impact important legal decisions can have on you or your business. At Klein, Rowell & Shall, PLLC, we will give you an honest assessment and explore innovative strategies to protect your rights and achieve your goals.

When you work with us, you can have confidence that we will remain attentive and responsive to all of your needs.

Whether you need advice on a work injury, auto accident, important business contract, or representation in an employment dispute, please call us today at (757) 432-2500 to put a skilled lawyer on your side. You may also send us an inquiry using our online form.

Contact Us